> My problem with VNC is that it is unencrypted. I did write a couple of
> scripts
> that make the VNC traffic encrypted with the help of SSH.

encrypted connections are easy, no scripts needed, eg connect vx-connectbot
(or other ssh client) to your server, forward a port, eg 5905 for vnc
display :5, and connect bvnc via that port.  vx-connectbot and bvnc will
remember your parameters for your connections so you don't need to re-enter
them again later.

keyboards on smartphones just plainly suck.

you are swyping, right?  swyping works well more often than not even if
your finger only comes somewhat near the intended letters.  eg for gmail.

swyping however doesn't seem to work for vx-connectbot or bvnc.  i use
hackers keyboard for them.