My reply is in-lined below.

On Tue, Aug 01, 2017 at 02:30:27PM -0500, Mike Miller wrote:
> Maybe this will help:
>
> https://askubuntu.com/questions/229287/how-do-i-make-ubuntu-appear-as-a-bluetooth-keyboard

****************
Regarding the above URL, it uses hidclient. hidclient depends on hidd (hid
daemon). hidd is obsolete. So that didn't work.

I was also unable to get my old way to work, although I'm not 100% done trying
yet. I'm having a < mouse freeze up problem > and an < I've decided to ignore
the ENTER key > problem; both problems simultaneously, of course! I'm going to
try to stick a USB mouse in a USB slot and see if that helps for the position-
ing problem; however, I don't see a solution for the < Let's ignore ENTER >.
****************

> Here's my question:  If you have a laptop with you, then why use the
> phone for email?  Is it because you can use your data connection when
> there is no WiFi?  What I would do is use the phone as a WiFi hotspot
> and then use the laptop for email.  I don't know if all Android phones
> with all carriers can do that, but with T-Mobile I've been doing it
> and it works great.

****************
Yes, sometimes I'm somewhere with no WiFi (in fact, too often). I'm leery of
the amount of data that a hotspot uses--does anyone know how to measure it?!?!

Some places I just don't carry the laptop.

As far as email on the phone, I usually end up doing:
1. seeing if there's anything important.
2. deleting stupid crap e-mail (ads, facebook notifications, etc.).
I typically don't actually write anything or reply because keyboards on
smartphones just plainly suck.

As far as using {facebook, groupme, meetup} on the phone--I think it is just
easier.

Of course, I know I'm blessed that, although I'm 56, I do not yet need
bifocals, and can still read fairly small fonts on the phone. I even use it
for e-books (although, if I have my laptop up and running, I then use Amazon's
web interface).
****************

******** <<<< LOTS OF STUFF DELETED HERE >>>>> ********

****************
My problem with VNC is that it is unencrypted. I did write a couple of scripts
that make the VNC traffic encrypted with the help of SSH.

I have pretty much only used VNC between GNU/Linux boxes. At one time, there
was a way to use an old GNURoot (but not the current one) version so you could
remotely-control all of X running under GNURoot) with your VNC-viewer running
on a GNU/Linux laptop. In this setup, though, I was using some sort of USB
cable for IP communication. And it appears it is done somewhat differently now,
and I couldn't get it to work in < GNURoot Debian >.

Cheers!
And thanks for the URL you found at top!,
~ Steve ~