Somewhat agree with Dee that it depends which technology you're looking to
get answers for.

My experience has been that irc has always been the most convenient way to
communicate with a large set of community of users. And we use it still
somewhat often. To Justin's point, I've searched online for a specific
subject and have found useful information from archives of old mailing
lists or irc channel conversations.

Though lately I've seen startups and more recent technologies using slack
and even twitter to help answer user's questions.

-SDA