Stopped using irc ages ago. Though my own private irc server is still running, haven't used it in a long while. I've seen many companies filter outbound irc ports simply because that traffic is more indicative of a hacked system than someone trying to chat.
Hopefully people figure things out on their own via the pretty rich internet archives of already asked and answered questions. Besides, learning what irc is and how to use it would likely result in a challenge for many, it is a rather esoteric tool these days.