Woops, sorry for saying nothing in reply.

His lab was in "Temporary North Court Engineering." He had the whole
building, an Army barracks, one of two. Packed to the ceiling. There
were 2 rooms combined into a serious computer lab from earliest tubes to
a (IIRC) a PDP-4. A front end loader was raised to his second story
office window letting him know they meant business. I had moved a bunch
of my stuff to lowertown, St. Paul, to push the fiber optics. 3,500
sq.ft. last used as a speakeasy during prohibition I think. My friend, a
VietNam Vet, opened the St. Paul Union Depot each morning chasing hobos
out with a gun. A lot of Otto's lab went to the Bakken Museum. Some went
to St. Paul. Some, who knows? He had cases of Civil War pictures, never
developed, from an amputee who liked Otto's electric pain relief.
Medtronic, Honeywell, etc. had roots there. Refrigeration galore. Like I
said, 2 floors packed with science history.

But Otto didn't know modern biophysical chemistry. Really, nobody did.
Today I run into researchers without knowing it, like my son-in-law's
brother and professor father. But I think the game changer will be
fiberglass roofing that delivers roof insolation out a glass wire cable
and cools a billion houses in India while making solar fuel (U
researchers also interested). That's why I think this Jens Thoms Torring
(Of XForms) is interesting; he's a chemical spectroscopy physicist in
Germany, and computers are a tool, not a best friend.

But you seem totally right about the OpenGL stuff. Just don't think old
guys can learn it.