>How much access do you have to monitoring the network traffic of where the
>server sits (that subnet)?

The server is a multi-tenant web host. Standard inexpensive host on the Internet. So... none really. Not even the HTTPD server logs.

>It IS your fault... (blaming the victim). For anything like this you need to
>authenticate.

Yeah, I realize I could head this stuff off by simply authenticating and encrypting.

I am not really concerned all that much about this other than the "how" or even the "why" of it.

I realize that certain folks at various points along the traversal path will have full access to the packets.

But I had always assumed that these actors would be state or carrier level.

At the very least, I thought that my uninteresting packets (I mean, literally just a few queries worth in the ocean of the packets traversing the net) would go without notice.

What this incident has shown me is that any unencrypted browsing WILL be intercepted and analyzed. Sort of a reality check if you will.

I had heard stories of people who swear they were compromised after sending an e-mail with a password in it. I always thought it was a little far fetched... but given that most SMTP is probably still not encrypted, perhaps there is something to the stories after all.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I will update if I learn any more.