On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 6:59 AM, Rick Engebretson <eng at pinenet.com> wrote:
> With cybersecurity now part of our daily news, perhaps it's worth asking the
> linux community what might be done?

Am waiting for ideas.
Possible areas of interest for me
1. secure routers (am using DD-WRT and think I have that covered)
2. ways to shut off browser tab updates when m/c is on but system is
not being used (sort of like a good system idle - - - note NOT stopped
just idle
3. ways to get even software raid drives to not check so often
(I'm no programmer but these are hopefully somewhat useful ideas!)

> We hear terms like re-entrant, thread safe, encryption, permissions,
> anti-virus, etc. But to borrow a phrase, a billion accounts hacked here and
> a billion hacked there, pretty soon we're talking about a real hacking
> problem.

The reason that this is not yet a large concern is because far to many
people/companies are using these issues to make a boat load of
money - - - enough said!

> Many smart people are proud how complex their product is getting. Energy
> planners say a "smart electric power grid" and "self driving" cars are good
> for us.

As PT Barnum was reputed to have said - - - There's a sucker born every
minute - - - and - - - You can fool all of the people some of the time and some
of the people all the time but you can't fool all the people all the time.
These persons might need to be made aware of these axioms.

Regards

Dee