> I've installed Linux Mint on an Acer Travelmate laptop and am
> having trouble getting the wireless stuff working.
>
> iwconfig says the access point is not associated.
>
> lspci says this:
>
> 01:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless 7260 (rev bb)
>     Subsystem: Intel Corporation Dual Band Wireless-N 7260
>
> dmesg says link is not ready.  It seem like I've had a similar
> problem at least once before and that I might have been able
> to get it fixed one time.  But I am not sure what to do next.

There is most likely a module for hte wireless ethernet device 9card or
itnernal) that has to be loaded. Some "bleeding edge" drivers are not yet
in the kernel, depending on the age of the hardware and how popular it was
in terms of volume sold. What we used to do is use "ndiswarpper" which is
exactly that. an NDIS wrapper, to use drivers that come straight from
Windows. You typically build the ndiswrapper with the drivers for the device
you have. Look it up.

Then, the kernel will load the module properly (the ndiswrapper), and the
module will essentially use the configuration of your wrapper to direct
kernel functions to the object code that is found in the .dll. (Confused
yet?)

Read about it, try it and report back. That is how I got my wireless device
on my Compaq laptop from 2005 to work.

> And, I'm having trouble getting Ben Shapiro podcasts to play
> on this machine.   (I'm using an ethernet connection while the
> wireless is down,)
>
> I'm able for example, to watch bsdnow.tv podcasts without a
> problem.  But I'm not getting any sound when I try to listen to
> to this.
>
> http://www.dailywire.com/podcasts/8606/ben-shapiro-show-ep-170-hillary-clinton-opens-ben-shapiro
>
> I'v tried two ways to get it to work.
> 1. Clicking on the links..
> 2. Downloading an mp3 file.
>
> When I downloaded the mp3, it said it needed to install
> gstreamer.  So I let it do that, but that didn't seem to help.
> I've tried both of the above things several times,  but I haven't
> tried rebooting.

As an FYI, "MPlayer" is the _best_ player for both archived (on your drive)
and streaming media. You want that, and you can easily build it from source.
It has "skins" and GUIs that go with it for people who do not like the CLI.

But your core problem is in ALSA, the Advanced Linux Sounds System,
configuration. In a terminal hit "alsamixer' and see the graphical sliders.
Move left right with the cursor keys and keep hitting "M" to mute and unmute
channels. The issue, I think, is that one way of palying the stream uses a
PCM ALSA device and another something else. The one that plays is not muted
and the other one is. It can also be the "jack sense" that needs to be muted.
That is just the sensor that tries to figure out if you have plugged in the
jack for headphones or not.

Looks like you need to do some reading on that as well. Report back.

And of course, I could be dead-wrong about all of this.