The drivers you are talking about probably don't belong in every kernel -
and kernels including them date back to about the same timeframe.

The Linux kernel has supported modules since the late '90s, and it's been
practially seemelss for over a decade. Kernels that come with distribtions
contain these drivers AS MODULES. They are NOT loaded into the kernel
unless they are needed. Very few drivers are actally built into the kernel
nowadays.

Type 'lsmod' in a terminal window, and see the long, ong list of modules
that are loaded automatically. I just did that on one of my machines, and
there are about 80. 80! None of them are built into the kenrel. They are
loaded as needed.

Those precompiled modules are, again, separate. They may take up
diskspace, but we're talking about a few hundred megabytes. That's not the
kind of diskspace a modern system is even going to notice. It is
absolutely not impacting memory or performance, either.