Thanks for your reply.

Perhaps you are right. I really don't have one good answer, but am
confused and interested in learning.

Many of the driver modules for things like SCSI and Sound cards I
remember go way back to ISA bus cards. I doubt you could find many of
these cards if you tried. Hundreds of them that don't seem to belong in
the same kernel source as high performance systems. In my downloaded
pre-compiled kernel the ancient driver modules are included and litter
up both the configuration file and library directory. An ancient
hardware platform deserves the ancient kernel.

I realize the PC desktop platform is obsolete to many users. And all the
laptop features, etc., etc., are new to me. But I'm surprised by all the
support for embedded, GPIO, and many things I've barely heard of. One of
the pre-compiled driver modules (GPS) for serial port even used the
carrier detect as a pulse clock.

I guess what I'm trying to do is a standard master/slave control system
over a standard RS232 link, exploiting standard ATX power supplies on
both ends.

I have an 84 year old farmer friend who likes Ubuntu on his laptops,
mails pictures of his very old car rebuilding projects. He likes old
cars because they're fixable. I would like to think I can still do
things with a PC.