On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 2:36 PM, Dan Armbrust
<daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com> wrote:
> "enterprise" is a nearly meaningless buzzword, especially in the SSD drive
> space.
>
> Not SSD specific, but interesting info:
> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/enterprise-drive-reliability/
>
> https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/
>
> With rotational drives, some of them that are labeled "enterprise" have
> different performance characteristics that are better suited to sitting in a
> datacenter, feeding NAS 24x7.
>
> As far as space for OS only... how big is your OS install?  I use partitions
> as small as 10 GB for a basic webserver install...
>
> If you want reliability, buy a pair of 32 or 64 GB drives, put them in a
> software raid, and call it done.

Greetings

That is what I tried to do.

Had a raid 10 array for all my data. One drive purely for operating
system (with VMs).

Well - - - somehow I landed up with a corrupted superblock on one
drive on the array.

Have had a mountain of hurt trying to get the array read.

Raid is not enough - - - I would suggest a raid array (as above) but
then backed up
to a NAS box with at least daily backups.!!

Dee