Thanks again to Dan and Yevgeniy for the info.  I tried first doing
reverse read, but that just quit immediately:

$ sudo ddrescue -v -R -n --force /dev/sda /dev/sdb ddrlog.txt
GNU ddrescue 1.19
About to copy 2000 GBytes from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb.
     Starting positions: infile = 0 B,  outfile = 0 B
     Copy block size: 128 sectors       Initial skip size: 128 sectors
Sector size: 512 Bytes

Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued:   951404 MB,  errsize:   1048 GB,  errors:      63

Current status
rescued:   951404 MB,  errsize:   1048 GB,  current rate:        0 B/s
    ipos:         0 B,   errors:      63,    average rate:        0 B/s
    opos:         0 B, run time:       0 s,  successful read:       0 s ago
Finished

Note that it ran for 0 seconds.  So I tried using -r1 to tell it to try to
recover more data.  That ran for about 16 hours, but it said it didn't
recover anything.  It did a lot of "scraping".  I don't know if it
accompliched anything.  Here's the output:

$ sudo ddrescue -v -r1 --force /dev/sda /dev/sdb ddrlog.txt
GNU ddrescue 1.19
About to copy 2000 GBytes from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb.
     Starting positions: infile = 0 B,  outfile = 0 B
     Copy block size: 128 sectors       Initial skip size: 128 sectors
Sector size: 512 Bytes

Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued:   951404 MB,  errsize:   1048 GB,  errors:      63

Current status
rescued:   951404 MB,  errsize:   1048 GB,  current rate:        0 B/s
    ipos:     2000 GB,   errors:      63,    average rate:        0 B/s
    opos:     2000 GB, run time:   16.71 h,  successful read:   16.71 h ago
Finished

On the bright side, I mounted /dev/sdb1 -- the main partition on the drive
I was writing to, and it looked really good.  I mounted it read-only.  I
can find files that I had lost and many of them look perfect.  The home
movies that I thought were there seem not to be there.  So I think I
copied them to an external drive, which is good news.  I can see that some
files are corrupted -- like text files that are now just a mess of binary
characters -- but most files I've looked at seem perfect.  So I'm pretty
happy with the results.

Thanks for everything!

Mike