On 09/13/2015 04:02 PM, Mike Miller wrote:
> At about 400 GB I picked up 4 errors, then nothing for a long time.  I left the house
> for a while and came back to this, which seems bad:
>
> $ sudo ddrescue -v -n --force /dev/sda /dev/sdb ddrlog.txt
> GNU ddrescue 1.19
> About to copy 2000 GBytes from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb.
>     Starting positions: infile = 0 B,  outfile = 0 B
>     Copy block size: 128 sectors       Initial skip size: 128 sectors
> Sector size: 512 Bytes
>
> Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
> rescued:   951404 MB,  errsize:   1048 GB,  current rate:        0 B/s
>    ipos:     2000 GB,   errors:      63,    average rate:   49658 kB/s
>    opos:     2000 GB, run time:    5.32 h,  successful read: 4.53 m ago
> Finished
>
> It's a 2 TB HDD, so it looks like it did half of it.
>
> Any opinions on the best next step?
>
> Mike

This is the point where I just end up using google myself... I use the rescue tools
infrequently enough that I forget all of the tweaks and things to try with working around
failing drives.

You might have hit a default limit on the number of errors it will read before giving
up... or, as Yevgeniy suggested, try running in reverse.

On the plus side, at least your drive is still coming up to the OS. I've had a few, where,
the only way I could get it to even appear as a drive was to put it in the freezer... then
it would work for about 20 minutes, till it warmed up, then fail again...

You just keep trying to get as many blocks read as possible, and then at some point, you
call it good - and move on to trying to do the ext4 recovery steps on the restored drive,
to try to restore the file system to a state where it will mount.

Good luck,

Dan