At about 400 GB I picked up 4 errors, then nothing for a long time.  I
left the house for a while and came back to this, which seems bad:

$ sudo ddrescue -v -n --force /dev/sda /dev/sdb ddrlog.txt
GNU ddrescue 1.19
About to copy 2000 GBytes from /dev/sda to /dev/sdb.
     Starting positions: infile = 0 B,  outfile = 0 B
     Copy block size: 128 sectors       Initial skip size: 128 sectors
Sector size: 512 Bytes

Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
rescued:   951404 MB,  errsize:   1048 GB,  current rate:        0 B/s
    ipos:     2000 GB,   errors:      63,    average rate:   49658 kB/s
    opos:     2000 GB, run time:    5.32 h,  successful read:    4.53 m ago
Finished

It's a 2 TB HDD, so it looks like it did half of it.

Any opinions on the best next step?

Mike