Thanks again, Dan.  I ended up starting it before getting your message
below, but I think I've got it right.  /dev/sdb1 was working and I backed
up all of it.  /dev/sda1 couldn't be mounted, but they previously were
cloned.  So I unmounted /dev/sdb, installed GNU ddrescue (on a third
drive) and did this:

sudo ddrescue -v -n --force /dev/sda /dev/sdb ddrlog.txt

After that finishes, I will run this to try to get the bad parts:

sudo ddrescue -v -r1 /dev/sda /dev/sdb ddrlog.txt

(I'm not sure if I need --force with the second command, but I was forced
to use it with the first command.)

The first command has been running for 45 minutes so far and it reports
zero errors and 100 MB/s average throughput.  So far, so good.

Mike