When Sprint turns off the Clearwire WiMax network on Nov 6, that is
the end of it. Nobody else is using WiMax that I'm aware of, LTE won
the 4G technology war. I'm using the WiMax network for Internet
service, so I'm interested in the problem. My service provider will be
selling me a new 4G LTE modem and I'm waiting to see how soon I can
get it.

Regarding using the old phone for telco service, it would probably
keep working but only on the 3G network. At least that is my guess. My
opinion is that Sprint 3G coverage isn't as good as 4G LTE. You could
probably use it at home or anywhere else you can get WiFi service.
Worst case, install Google Voice or Skype, turn off the mobile
network, and use it strictly via the WiFi.

Personally, I can find numerous things to use a smart phone for even
if it doesn't have phone service. All that CPU power can be very
useful. If you don't want it, I'll take it.  :-)

Doug Reed.
N St Paul.