On Fri, 22 May 2015, Brian Wood wrote:

> I think you know what I mean.  A "power supply" is a power
> converter.   Jorgen Grahn, a C++ programmer, says, "more direct
> wording is better; it helps you think."

Yeah, but calling a component by ONE of it's functions rather than by what
it's actually called is hardly direct. To wit, if you walk into
Microcenter and ask "Where are your power converters?" you will have a
nice walk to the opposite side of the store than what you actually need.

> What components did you use for your new system if you
> don't mind my asking?  I haven't really decided how much
> to spend yet.  Am thinking of getting mostly server grade
> components.

This is an EXTREMELY low-end server; none of these components are
server-grade:

- NZXT Source 210 Computer Case Black
- ASUS Micro ATX DDR3 2000 AMD AM3+ Motherboard M5A78L-M/USB3
- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) Desktop Memory (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)
- WD Green 1TB Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZRX)
- AMD FD6300WMHKBOX FX-6300 6-Core Processor Black Edition
- Power Supply SS-400ES Bronze 80+ ATX 400W/PFC/+12Vx2/SATAx4/PCIE

The PSU is a Seasonic, which is a company I do trust, but it's a very
low-end one, is COMPLETELY non-modular and I suspect might be refurbished.
I highly recommend AGAINST it; I believe it is the weakest link in this
whole thing but I was on an extreme budget.

This totals slightly less than $450, but if it were up to me I'd toss
another $100 on the PSU alone.

Like I said, low-end, but currently running a bunch of Apache instances, a
DNS server, postfix+dovecot+spamassassin and sadly I had to hook my small
array to it for backups since the other systems on the same network can't
handle ZFS so it's also got backups running to it.