Clug writes:
On Thu, 21 May 2015, Brian Wood wrote:

> Wow, delayed reaction?...

I was thinking about buying something back then, but
then thought I should wait a while.

>> I think I can install the power converter, motherboard, memory and get
>> some of the cables connected.? That leaves the cpu, hard drive and some
>> of the cables.? I can probably figure out how to install the cpu and
>> hard drive if I have to.? So that leaves a few cables that I think I'd
>> need help with.
>
> I really hope you're not putting a power converter in there.

I think you know what I mean.  A "power supply" is a power
converter.   Jorgen Grahn, a C++ programmer, says, "more direct
wording is better; it helps you think."

> Comptuers are pretty much lego. Just make sure you plug BOTH the power
> connectors from the PSU into the motherboard, and make sure the SPU fan is
> plugged in before you turn the thing on to test it. I left the 4-pin off
> one time, not knowing that's what powers the fans, and that CPU was dead
> in SECONDS.

Thanks, that's a good to know!  I also know to use the offset screws
for the motherboard or that can fry the motherboard.  I almost learned
that the hard way.

> Nope. A SATA connector is a SATA connector whether it's an HHD or SSD.
>
> Now if you mean a 3.5" disk rather than a 2.5" disk (which most SSDs are)
> then you MIGHT need a bracket. Most computer cases nowadays will have the
> correct screw holes for 2.5", though. Either way, the bracket doesn't make
> it more complicates, really. You just screw the drive to the bracket
> first.
>
> A spinny disk will still be a HELL of a lot cheaper than an SSD, though.

I read that HDDs are 5 to 10 cents/Gig and SSDs are 45 cents/Gig.
It may be more than that for a server class SSD.   Still think it's
worth it for the speed and lower energy use.  My goal is to provide
a good service and think SSDs help me get there.  Hybrids might
be helpful also.

>> > A PSU is the ONE component you NEVER want to cheap-out on.
>
> You didn't comment on this but it's importantrnough that I'm just quoting
> myself.

What components did you use for your new system if you
don't mind my asking?  I haven't really decided how much
to spend yet.  Am thinking of getting mostly server grade
components.

--
Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - "Free at last; free at last; thank G-d

http://webEbenezer.net