This is getting more into philosophy and ethics than Linux, but I'm always
up for a discussion.

Yes, in in ideal world we'd all do what's right. I will also not that I
/did/ specify this is "guerilla support" so I am obviously aware of this
not being an ideal situation.

In an ideal world, the EMPLOYER would have done the right thing in the
first place - that is, they would have had an anti-virus/anti-malware tool
installed. I should point out this is a fairly small operation and there
is only ONE computer there (which made ME feel a lot better) - this is the
machine used by my friend.

This is also the machine that the employer expects my friend - a very,
very non-technical person - to be 100% responsible for. My friend is
skilled with MS Office, but they are expected to do everything from
install software to debugging printer failures. My friend has to run
backups onto their own PERSONAL DRIVES because if any data gets lost or
corrupetd THEY ARE THE ONE BLAMED.

A printer failure is what caused this mess in the first place. My friend
tells the boss the (6+ year old inkjet) printer is broken and that they
need to get a new one and/or pay someone to come look at it. Boss says no,
and my friend still gets in trouble for not printing stuff out. So my
friend who is, again, very non-technical, finds what they THINK is an HP
support site and runs the diagnostic utility they are told will let HP
access the computer... etc, etc.

And yes, in an ideal world my friend could also quit the hell out of that
job and get a better one, but...