before vivid i'd habitually setup static IPs in /etc/network/interfaces and
remove wpa_supplicant which in turn yanked out networkmanager.  i just
tried that on vivid.  ifconfig and route -n look normal but ping is not
happening.  so are we stuck with an unremovable networkmanager now, or can
anyone suggest extra steps that might be needed in vivid?  it worked mostly
fine with network manager using dhcp, but when I found networkmanager
pinning the CPU yesterday i figured i'm overdue to purge it&setup the
static IP.  not so easy now apparently..