Thanks, Rick -- I recall reading that post now.

My real issue here is just how these posts are dealt with. The responses
are immediately personal and, for a community, that's the least welcoming
thing we could allow.

It'd be great if we could stay on topic, but that's not always going to be
the case.  So, instead of attacking anyone who posts something off topic,
consider either ignoring it or replying politely with a simple "I don't
believe this isn't the appropriate place to be discussing <topic>" on or
off list. If they listen and understand, then great. If they don't, then
just ignore their future posts. Yelling at them isn't going to do anything
at that point and will just annoy everyone else, potentially driving off
the lurkers.

If we can stick to and agree on that, my vote would be that we don't need
moderation.

TL;DR: Stating you like or dislike gun zones is less harmful than
insinuating you think someone's stupid for that belief. It'd be nice to not
have to deal with either though.

Just my two cents.
-Andrew