As requested, I'm speaking here as one of the mailing list
administrators -- and *NOT* moderator (please keep reading..) or not
as a subscriber.

For the most recent events from March-30-2014, since it seemed a
flamewar was well on it's way, I stepped forward and placed the
moderation setting on a particular subscriber.

The TCLUG-list has no content or subscriber moderators.

Here's why:

Anytime there has been an issue or problem, the list has moderated
itself.

Other subscribers speak up on what they want to see changed and make
suggestions for such change.  Others chime in and a general consensus
is met. The concept of netiquette prevails.

Do you, as list subscribers, want a person or people in charge of
moderating content?

If so, then the list needs to agree on what is acceptable and not
acceptable to post in the list and a course of action to take when the
unacceptable happens. And another thing to keep in mind, any policy
creation will need to retroactively apply to all subscribers on the
list now. How well is that going to be received?

If this should proceed, then how are moderators chosen?
I.e., nomination and voting or strictly volunteer or some other
method? How many are allowed?

And the "other duties" such as: (to name a few)

  * How are tasks tracked between moderators to make sure one does not
undo the work of the others?
  * Is there a need for any kind of audit trail for moderators and
their moderation actions?
  * Is there a chain of command between moderators?
  * How are disagreements and policy discussion between moderators
handled?
  * What course of actions can a subscriber take dispute a moderation
ruling?
  * How is such a dispute handled?

So, as a list administrator, what do we do?

As list administrators, we make sure the list is available, as in up &
running. Email posts come in, they get distributed to subscribers and
a copy is made available in the mailing list archives. We reject the
20 to 30 spam messages per day that try to make it to the list and in
very rare cases manually unsubscribe or subscribe someone for numerous
reasons per their request.  We are either invisible, or in trouble. ;-)

- --
Rick Tanner <rick at real-time.com>      | Phone : (952) 943-8700
http://www.real-time.com              | Fax :   (952) 943-8500