> On Jul 29, 2015, at 11:27 PM, Brian Wall <kc0iog at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 27, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Ryan Coleman <ryan.coleman at cwis.biz> wrote:
>> Another possibility would be having an LDAP front end that read the MySQL database. I have not had any luck with that in the past.
>
> If that's the case, what value does the SQL database give you?  Why
> not just use a directory based product?
> http://opensource.com/business/14/5/top-4-open-source-ldap-implementations <http://opensource.com/business/14/5/top-4-open-source-ldap-implementations>

I had so many issues when I ran OpenLDAP that I had to dump the whole thing and re-build my authentication scripts to run off the MySQL server. This way I can have my scripts maintain the SQL data and when I need an LDAP interface I can do it off that data.

> Not mentioned, you could also set up Samba 4 as an Active Directory
> server.  FreeRADIUS should be able to authenticate against any LDAP
> source.

This is something I hadn’t thought of… still a PITA but the tools of management are far more robust.

Thanks!