Hey Dan,

I'd be willing to take a crack at it.  I'm no expert in soldering, but I've
recapped the soundboard of an arcade cabinet (
https://goo.gl/photos/HVJEzMNoCFFdtKMq9) and, after a few attempts,
re-soldered an HDMI port back on to a TV... so, I could definitely be
worse. :-)

Unfortunately, I don't have any router suggestions at the moment.  The two
in my home are none too stellar.  A friend of mine does have a Netgear
Nighthawk he raves about.  The range is pretty stellar, but the price is
definitely not.  I'm also unsure if it would run Tomato or not.

-Andrew