_____

From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Linda Kateley
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 11:06 AM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] SSD vs HDD for DIY security camera project

On 1/22/15 8:15 PM, Chuck Cole wrote:

  _____

From: tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org
[mailto:tclug-list-bounces at mn-linux.org] On Behalf Of Craig Smith
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 5:50 PM
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org

Thanks to all who replied.  The consensus was that SDD reliability wasn't a
concern given my bandwidth, but performance wasn't worth the money.

FWIW, I'm very happy with the Seagate ST1000LM0141 tb hybrid SSHD drive I
put in my laptop.  It's 4x the speed of "only rotating" and only about 15%
higher price than a "rotating only" model.

Nice, has anyone seen any "endurance" numbers for these hybrid drives?

I have been watching these tests on ssds..

<http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freakin
g-petabytes>
http://techreport.com/review/27436/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-two-freaking
-petabytes

But my instinct is that hybrid would actually have lower endurance. All of
the heat/noise/vibration that comes off a hdd would seem not to be good for
ssd. Or if it is not writing much into ssd part...  ???

Linda (et al)

I have some knowledge of these things technically and "was in the business"
of both hi-rel and hard drives..

Noise and vibration aren't big issues since these chips don't have big ears
and are mounted in quiet corners with good thermal conductivity to the
outside as well as good air circulation inside.  Temperature is not a big
issue unless things get ..  hotter than just warm.   The effect of
temperature on reliability is not bad until (slowly drops) until some
critical temp is neared or exceeded.  Going from memory and don't recall
clearly, but I think that's about 50C which is likely much hotter than my
Dell laptop hard drives ever get.  At this "critical temp", the reliability
curve drops as the 3rd or 5th power of the difference above the critical
temp.. a very sharp decrease in reliability indeed, but insignificant below
the critical temp.

Other parts inside a hard drive have a tougher time, but the issues are very
well understood and accounted for which is why hard drives are more reliable
than most semiconductor memory (because board and box temps aren't as
well-controlled).  Seagate puts their 5 year guarantee on their SSHD drives.

Chuck