On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 9:49 PM, Munir Nassar <nassarmu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 3:34 PM,  <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:
> > For business-use, Red Hat goign "too commercial" is a good thing. If I
> was
> > running a business that actually made money, I'd be using RHEL.
>
> Why? What does Red Hat provide that is so essential for running a business?

It isn't what Red Hat provides per se.  It's more that many applications do
not play well with other distros.  For example, some won't install on
CentOS, Debian, etc. due to how it is written, or that they expect certain
locations for files.  Heck, some of them won't install unless the
/etc/redhat-release file exists with specific content.  Beyond that, if you
call in for support on the app, good luck in getting support on any distro
other than what they support the app on.

Running Debian, CentOS, Ubuntu, Slack, etc. might work well for small
businesses, and some medium sized ones (or universities/colleges).
However, when you start getting into the medium to large enterprises, you
will most likely not get any management support for running any distro
which does not have enterprise level SLA's.

--
-Shawn