All I have to say is Ryan knows some stuff seems like someone I wish was my friend.

Happy New Year - 😈

From: ryan.coleman at cwis.biz
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2015 17:25:26 -0600
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] SpamAssassin compiling error - any ideas?

On Jan 2, 2015, at 2:37 PM, Jeff Chapin <chapinjeff at gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 2, 2015 at 2:32 PM, paul g <pj.world at hotmail.com> wrote:
1. Would this issue that Ryan was having with SpamAssassin be a legit bug report situation? Ryan obviously figured out the problem without the need to file a bug report and therefore was able to install the software.

Yes, since it is an opportunity to improve the software.

2. Now, if this is a legit bug report situation and Ryan had needed or wanted to file a bug report what would be the 'correct' avenue to do so would he start with the SpamAssassin development team or Ubuntu or Debian upstream maintainers?

Most likely Spam Assassin -- given that he was compiling, it is unlikely he was compiling from Ubuntu-provided source code. Most of the time you compile, you are doing so to get a newer version than what is provided by your distro (or want to change the defaults). Even if it was provided by Ubuntu/Debian, unless the error is due to a change made by Ubuntu/Debian, why would you report the issue to them?

I was doing apt-get install spamassassin --reinstall  though, so you tell me? I’ll end up reporting the bug eventually, but I have no idea how to fix it, I just found a work-around.

This to me is a good question to learn on because it would help me in the future if I needed to file a bug report. Pointing to where best and most appropriate to 'ask the question/duplicate the situation' to the proper area. As far as bug reports are concerned.

Thanks for taking your time to respond.

Happy New Year 😊

You report the bug to whomever created the bug, typically.