Greetings

I have been running a raid 10 array for almost 3 years.

Last September on a reboot (forced by Firefox and kernel memory interaction
problems) came up with one of the drives being listed as DOA.
The raid array has continued to run on 3 drives although on reboots there
is much complaining from whatever in the boot up process.
I had the replacement drive sent to me and today I installed the drive.

I was under the assumption that the raid array would rebuild itself upon
startup with a new drive (4th out of 4).

This did not happen.

I am running Debian Jessie (testing) and have the whole time in question.
I can mount the array and it is visible.
I'm looking at backing up the array (on blu-ray discs) but as I'm now to
circa 45 GB of data and I was at about 22 GB when I last did a backup this
is going to be a momentous event.

How do I ask mdadm to include this new drive into the array? (Without
borking everything!! I have found lots of instructions on how to create but
none in an hour of trying different search phrases on how to rebuild or how
to cause the array to rebuild itself. I have only been able to find
instructions for when the array is totally sick and I'm not there (yet - -
- grin!) but I don't want to wait until another drive craps out to get
things going.)

TIA

Dee