On Sun, 8 Feb 2015, Chuck Cole wrote:

> Can I get free and unlimited WiFi hotspot operation by unblocking that in my
> Sprint Galaxy SII?

The Galaxy SII is a fairly old phone, so I'm not sure how easy it is to
unlock and root (I know the SIII is a bit complex... because my mom
unlocked and rooted hers).

I don't know that the official Android versions available for he SII have
a WiFi hotspot feature, but I do think custom ROMs like CyanogenMod from
that era had it built-in. If you unlock the phone you can probably get
CyanogenMod on there.

However, mobile carriers have lately become pretty smart about detecting
when you're using your mobile as a wifi hotspot and have started blocking
it. I know T-Mobile does, and I can't find a way to work around it
(supposedly changing your browser's useragent helps, but it doesn't seem
to work for me, plus I use other protocols). So your mileage WILL vary.