This isn't really Linux-related, but...

I unlock and root every Android device I get - that's one of the main
reasons I get Android devices.

Different devices have different procedures for unlocking and rooting - in
fact, it's not 100% possible on every device. For example, on Nexus
devices it's remarkably trivial, whereas some devices lock and encrypt
their bootloader. Without knowing the make and model phone you have, I
can't really comment on what it'd be like.

It does usually involve installing some software on your computer to talk
to your phone, though.