I've gathered that Linux Mint Rebecca == Ubuntu Utopic Unicorn, is that correct?

 do not believe that is correct as the difference between Mint Rebecca
17.1 and the Mint 17 Qiana is only Compiz and something else 'fancy
graphical' for Cinnamon or Mate desktop comes Pre-installed if you look
at the release notes for Rebecca 17.1 I think there appears to be a
'bug' in lvm where Qiana does not have the problem. I dunno if it has
been fixed as of yet for Rebecca 17.1.

Mint Rebecca 17.1 <--
which is an LTS Same as Mint 17 Qiana initally using the 3.13 kernel.
Same as Trusty-Tahr sorta because Trusty-Tahr is an LTS.

Utopic
Unicorn also is not an LTS supported distro. So it's most likely only up
 for 6 months of support similar to what was going on with Mint 16.

I have not looked into Utopic Unicorn a whole lot just read a couple brief articles concerning the distro.

If
 this helps there has been success with cross+distro repo usage between
anything from Mint 13 to Mint 17 and Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 14.04 n vise versa. Except an issue that has arose at least for me is 'adding-keys' on Mint 13 seems impossible now same as adding keys on a '10.04' machine. Somewhere along the line the ability to add keys became impossible on either machine running MINT 13 or Ubuntu 10.04. When never even adding odd/off topic ppas.I have no experience using Ubuntu 12.04.

I hope this helps answer a bit of your questions. I will research a bit more.

Thanks,

----
paul g