This is one of those times I wish I could tell people "give me your
budget +20% and I'll build you a server."

Server-grade boards tend not to incorporate new tech as fast as
desktop-grade. And I really don't think you need an m.2 slot. If it's a
server I don't think you really need an SSD to boot from, anyway. SHHD,
maybe, but a spinny-disk is just fine.

Supermicro are not a brand I trust, and they're really the only way you're
getting a server-grade board for under $200 and still be somewhat current.

A PSU is the ONE component you NEVER want to cheap-out on. Honestly when I
build a machine the PSU is one of the most expensive components if not THE
single most expensive components.

I've not put together an actual server build for under $1,500, by the way.
Though I can easily do a desktop-acting-as-a-server for well under $1,000.
All depends on what you need this machine to do.