I second GhettoVCB.  Been using it for many years without issue.

Takes a snapshot, does the backup, removes snapshot when done.  Simple but
effective.  It does choke (very randomly and rarely for me) but when it
does it's been smart enough to remove the snapshot so I don't have a system
working for too long on the snapped image, not smart enough to try the
other VMs when one does fail to backup, the entire process just stops.