i've been using GhettoVCB to backup VMDKs, it works... usually. It has
some serious drawbacks: the package isn't signed so you cannot easily
install it or keep ESX updated with it installed. Installing it by
hand is easy enough, but you have to enable SSH or the console to do
so and finally there is no management console for it so you have to
have your PFY keep up with the emails it spits out to ensure that
everything is working. on the other hand its free and it works...
usually  :)