One interesting approach combines the best of photofilmstrip and
OpenShot video editor:  Use photofilmstrip to create clip from images,
then combine audio, video and images in OpenShot to create complete
videoslideshow multimedia file.  The neat thing about photofilmstrip is
the feature that graphically allows the addition of the "Burns" effect.
OpenShot makes it really easy to add an image, then move down to the
track line and extend the image over a period of seconds to minutes, to
coordinate with an audio clip (which sits on its' own timeline).
Tom