On Sun, 2015-08-02 at 20:09 -0500, Saul Alanis wrote:
> Hey Neal-
>
> Sounds like a pretty significant task IMO and not a lot of time.
>
> I wouldn't even know where to begin to advice you and you didn't even mention what distribution you're running?
>
> Guess it doesn't really matter and I don't have much for you other than suggesting looking into distributions that serve just the directory services space.
>
> There's a few of them that offer a lot of the services out of the box, I looked into this myself a while back. If it is work related they may not even let you install FOSS without some
> type of approval.
>
> Anyhow, my google searching skills are lacking right now and the only example I could come up is: https://www.turnkeylinux.org/openldap
>
> Sounds like this is what you need. I am sure you'll get some type of response with other perhaps better suggestions.
>
> Good luck!
>
> SDA

Sorry, I run Fedora here and the idea is to have a intranet mail server.
It really is helpful to get an email from the various pieces of
equipment when they have problems, so yes I will invest the time and
just maybe learn something.

Saul - I looked at your link, but if I need to use ldap, Fedora has
that pre-packaged, I'll use and learn that.

Ryan - looked at your link, pretty much is what I have seen googleing
around the internet myself, it does have a couple of points about
some things in dovecot that I will check out.

Before I added dovecot, postfix was delivering email to the super user
account on the server, it's just that I would like to get everything at
the workstation.

As for using how-tos for Ubuntu on a Fedora machine - meh, aside from
some trivial differences in installing packages, and starting-up
applications at boot-up, the procedures for running the applications
is mostly the same (same config files).  Systemd does give you some
helpful data:

$ sudo systemctl status postfix.service
postfix.service - Postfix Mail Transport Agent
   Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/postfix.service; enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Sun 2015-08-02 15:25:05 CDT; 17h ago
 Main PID: 28200 (master)
   CGroup: /system.slice/postfix.service
           ├─ 2163 pickup -l -t unix -u
           ├─ 3292 trivial-rewrite -n rewrite -t unix -u
           ├─ 3293 smtp -t unix -u
           ├─ 3294 bounce -z -n defer -t unix -u
           ├─ 3463 cleanup -z -t unix -u
           ├─ 3464 local -t unix
           ├─28200 /usr/libexec/postfix/master -w
           └─28202 qmgr -l -t unix -u

Aug 03 09:00:09 server.atsome.com postfix/smtp[3293]: 1E03E4C03DB: to=<me at workstation.atsome.com>, orig_to=<root at server.atsome.com>, relay=none, delay=63380, delays=63380/0.02/0/0,...ute to
host)
Aug 03 09:01:39 server.atsome.com postfix/pickup[2163]: AF0B54C05C9: uid=0 from=<root>
Aug 03 09:01:39 server.atsome.com postfix/cleanup[3463]: AF0B54C05C9: message-id=<20150803140139.AF0B54C05C9 at server.atsome.com>
Aug 03 09:01:39 server.atsome.com postfix/qmgr[28202]: AF0B54C05C9: from=<root at server.atsome.com>, size=457, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Aug 03 09:01:39 server.atsome.com postfix/cleanup[3463]: B96974C05C3: message-id=<20150803140139.AF0B54C05C9 at server.atsome.com>
Aug 03 09:01:39 server.atsome.com postfix/qmgr[28202]: B96974C05C3: from=<root at server.atsome.com>, size=599, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Aug 03 09:01:39 server.atsome.com postfix/local[3464]: AF0B54C05C9: to=<me at server.atsome.com>, relay=local, delay=0.11, delays=0.07/0.01/0/0.03, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent
(forwarde...B96974C05C3)
Aug 03 09:01:39 server.atsome.com postfix/qmgr[28202]: AF0B54C05C9: removed
Aug 03 09:01:39 server.atsome.com postfix/smtp[3293]: connect to workstation.atsome.com[XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX]:25: No route to host
Aug 03 09:01:39 server.atsome.com postfix/smtp[3293]: B96974C05C3: to=<me at workstation.atsome.com>, orig_to=<me at server.atsome.com>, relay=none, delay=0.03, delays=0.03/0/0/0, dsn=...ute to
host)
Hint: Some lines were ellipsized, use -l to show in full.