Yeah, that’s a royal PITB.

I used the following tutorial to set up a SQL-driven virtual domain system when LDAP was no longer viable for our needs.

http://www.geoffstratton.com/2013/05/ubuntu-mail-server-postfix-dovecot/ <http://www.geoffstratton.com/2013/05/ubuntu-mail-server-postfix-dovecot/>

And it’s been working very well for my needs.

Since it seems like you’re starting from scratch perhaps you could go this route?