I wrote something like this years ago with perl LWP. It's actually quite simple. I ran it as a daemon and had a number of actions it could perform based on it's previous results (ie up before up now, up before down now, down before down now, and down before up now). Then I ended up branching that off into some simple cli tools (later cgi'ed as well) into http-header.pl and http-getter.pl scripts to make head and get requests respectively which occasionally are very useful for troubleshooting. I even added the heartbleed check in for a bit before the chrome bleed plugin was released.

Something relatively straight forward like this I like to do myself so I can make fine tweaks to match my needs exactly instead of trying to string multiple different scripts/tools together and settle on "good enough"

Just my $.02

"right" and use perl::LWP or somrthing. There are lots of options (: