Not extremely simple, but apt-get' able and a bit simpler to set up than
Nagios:

http://omdistro.org/doc/quickstart_debian_ubuntu

It has been quite a bit better experience than raw "touch everything and
watch it break" Nagios.  The added web gui bits take away quite a bit of the
pain, and it scales quite well.

Kelly
KB0GBJ