On 2014.09.20 13:59, Brian Wood wrote:
> Andrew Berg writes:
>

>> BTW, since I'm doing a talk on FreeBSD at the November meeting,
>
> On Linux there wasn't much under /usr/local.   The stuff I put in there was
> about it.  On BSD those directories have tons of files in them.  What's up
> with that?
https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=hier&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD%2010.0-RELEASE&arch=default&format=html
All third-party software goes in /usr/local. It's the separation between the
base system and third-party software. Linux distros have no such distinction
(everything aside from perhaps a couple utilities made by the distro project is
third-party) and so everything is lumped together. This is one of the things
I'll be going over in detail in the talk since it seems to confuse people
coming from Linux.