On 05/06/2014 06:36 PM, T L wrote:

> Pulling the drives & sticking them in a PC might let you talk to the
> drive(s). I think that it is likely that the box is using the mdraid
> software raid system, which nearly any distribution will support.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Thomas

I had tried the freezer trick ( I learned that here lol) with no luck.
I also tried hooking the bad drive to another PC.  It still played dead
I had emailed the tech support at shuttle just before posting to this
list and much to my surprise they actually emailed me a solution to the
problem.  I just had to do a firmware update in such a way as to bypass
the web interface and it's all good here now:)
Thanks for your ideas though, i was starting to pull my hair out over this:)

  Rob