On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 9:48 AM, David Wagle <david.wagle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also concur that events such as this demonstrate a need for active
> governance of the list. That said, I don't think that the correct
> response to people who clearly are having difficulty understanding the
> nature and purpose of a mailing list is simply to label them "troll"
> and hit the ban button.
>
> I would ask that whoever makes the decision about Paul (and anyone
> else for that matter) exercise a great deal of restraint and patience
> while at the same time protecting the integrity and purpose of the list.

Agreed. Can we hear something from the current list admins?

As has been mentioned by others in the past, we want to err on the side of
inclusion rather than exclusion. That said, setting the mod bit on certain
accounts is a fair and appropriate thing to do to help protect the
integrity of the list.

The downside of enabling moderation is that it requires somewhat regular
involvement from the list administration staff, which for the last few
years hasn't been present.

My proposal to help out the current situation:

- enact a list policy to place on moderation any list member who causes
undue problems on the list
- add one or more persons to the moderation staff of the list, who can
accept or deny moderated messages as they come through

-Erik