Replies in-line.

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 5:45 PM, paul g <pj.world at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I ended up downloading the latest firefox28 from the firefox site
> extracted the .tar and copied it into /opt/firefox
>
> Then I created a menu entry in Gnome and pointed it to
> /opt/firefox/firefox.sh
>
> firefox loads up with old bookmarks through the menu although:
>
> why when I do a 'locate firefox' in terminal many entries show up? A few
> more than listed below but this is the just of it.

The 'locate' command uses a pre-created database of file names. If you have
not re-run 'updatedb' after creating a file, 'locate' will not know about
it. Locate will return any file that matches the pattern you gave it.

> /usr/share/ubuntu-docs/libs/img/firefox-3.5.png
> /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/firefox-homepage
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-branding.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-branding.md5sums
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-gnome-support.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-gnome-support.md5sums
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-locale-en.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-locale-en.md5sums
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-locale-en.preinst
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.conffiles
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.md5sums
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.postinst
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.postrm
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.preinst
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.prerm
>
> There are even entries shown under /usr/lib and /usr/bin which I did not
> include here.
>
> When I 'cd' into the /var/lib/dpkg/info and perform an 'ls -lah' no
> entries for firefox show up that way.

This is related to my previous comment. If these have been deleted since
the last time updatedb has been run, locate will still think they are there.

Also alt+F2 no longer allows me to open firefox: Error stating file
> '/home/paul/firefox': No such file or directory
>
> How can I get alt+F2 to open firefox or make it system wide?

You need to add the new location for firefox to your PATH variable. The
PATH variable is a list of locations to look in when you do not provide the
full path to a command, such as 'firefox'.

echo $PATH <-- shows the current value
export PATH=$PATH:/opt/firefox  <-- would add the new location

you need to put this in .bashrc or .bash_profile for it to stick with all
new sessions.

You should also note, earlier you ran 'firefox.sh', but in your alt-f2
example, you ran just 'firefox', which may or may not work. I have never
installed this way, so I am not sure what all comes in the tarball.

> I did run 'rm -r firefox' in /usr/bin after removing the old version of
> firefox20 via synaptic

And that would be why you see files with 'locate' that are no longer there
-- you deleted them.