I ended up downloading the latest firefox28 from the firefox site extracted the .tar and copied it into /opt/firefox

Then I created a menu entry in Gnome and pointed it to /opt/firefox/firefox.sh

firefox loads up with old bookmarks through the menu although:

why when I do a  'locate firefox' in terminal many entries show up? A few more than listed below but this is the just of it.

/usr/share/ubuntu-docs/libs/img/firefox-3.5.png

/var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/firefox-homepage

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-branding.list

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-branding.md5sums

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-gnome-support.list

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-gnome-support.md5sums

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-locale-en.list

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-locale-en.md5sums

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox-locale-en.preinst

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.conffiles

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.list

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.md5sums

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.postinst

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.postrm

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.preinst

/var/lib/dpkg/info/firefox.prerm

There are even entries shown under /usr/lib and /usr/bin which I did not include here.

When I 'cd' into the /var/lib/dpkg/info and perform an 'ls -lah' no entries for firefox show up that way.

Also alt+F2 no longer allows me to open firefox: Error stating file '/home/paul/firefox': No such file or directory

How can I get alt+F2 to open firefox or make it system wide?

I did run 'rm -r firefox' in /usr/bin after removing the old version of firefox20 via synaptic

Thanks