On Sat, 22 Mar 2014, Olwe Bottorff wrote:

> We've got latest Ubuntu on all our computers at home. We've got Century
> Link DSL coming in on an Actiontec PK5000 Wifi modem. Problematic is
> when I try to use one of my computers as an ssh server. The transfer
> speeds are no better than 200k. That's much slower than USB2. Any ideas
> how I can improve the speed?

How do you do the test?  Are you using scp?

Can you compare that with other transfer methods like http or samba?

Just curious if it's general slowness or ssh-specific slowness.

I have the Actiontek Q1000 with Century Link.  My server is connected by
wire to a router, and from the router to the Actiontek.  My laptop is
using 802.11n.  For transfers from server to laptop with http (wget) I'm
seeing 4.9 MB/sec and with scp I'm seeing 4.6 MB/sec.

I don't know if that is optimally fast, either.

Mike