>To that end I would suggest the recently resurrected Northfield linux
>users group (norlug).
>They meet weekly at the Hideaway in Northfield- coffeehouse coders- and
>are starting technical meetings this month. First one is on Raspberry
>Pi.

Harv, thanks for the NORLUG recognition!

>Would anyone be willing to host a beginners Free BSD class?

Paul: Great to see that your interested in Free BSD.  I am the organizer of
the Northfield Linux User Group. While I myself know very little about Free
BSD, you are welcome to come to one of our weekly coffee house coders
groups, or one of our technical meetings. Perhaps some other members may be
able to help you. We meet every Monday evening at The Hideaway in downtown
Northfield for some social time. Everyone generally brings projects they
are working on, usually code or graphic design stuff but it's whatever you
want. We also host technical meetings. Our first one since the group
revived is this next Thursday. Perhaps we can look into hosting a Free BSD
class at some point.

Meeting up with people in person is definitely a valuable experience. When
I first began learning Linux (Ubuntu) I was on forums, IRC, and mailing
lists for a while before attending my first user group. It can be hard to
learn something new when you don't know what questions to ask and what
software and resources are available.