> You've got two things working against you here:
>
> The minus sign is a signal to remove whatever it precedes from the
> results. So, when searching for option flags, remove the - or --
> characters.
>
> A while back, Google demoted quotation marks. Previously, it denoted a
> required term. Now, it only signals an especially desired term.

I missed that quotes had been demoted. I noticed and remember when they
demoted the plus sign, which forced me to start using double quotes instead.

Their Advanced Search page (http://www.google.im/advanced_search) still
uses wording that suggests it should work, but obviously it's not.

>  Bing is much better than it used to be, so it is my fallback choice.
> Still, I think that Google still has the best general purpose search engine.

It has gotten much better, that's for sure. When it started it was such a
joke, but I do fall back to it now.

> I've have been using
>> https://www.ixquick.com/
>> recently.  I made it my home page and default browser search engine.
>>
>> I like the theory and it works well (searches multiple engines
>> simultaneously and anonymously).

Does anyone else remember the DogPile search engine? It was convenient
because then you didn't have to try 3 or 4 search engines to find what you
wanted. It seems that that sort of things is starting to make a come back.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them out as Google fails me.

--
Michael Moore