I was excited to return to Linux after needing Windows for work for so long.
Retirement and XP going gave me the nudge to get an inexpensive internet
device that...joy!...I could install Linux on. OK, did that. Got an Acer
C720 and installed crouton which is supposed to be an Ubuntu distro,
but.....there is no apt! Can't install anything else. Did a refreshed
install, but still no good. The Ubuntu forum called my question off-topic.

Can someone tell me how to get a real Linux machine that I could do
something on besides experience the Google hegemony.

Good to be back after missing this group for years.