Michael Moore <stuporglue <at> gmail.com> writes:

> This is an old thread, but I wanted to post an update in case anyone else
comes across a similar problem.
> I don't think it was interference or a heavy netowork load anymore. I
think sometimes either wifi drivers or the hardware itself get in a funny
state. If I remove the wifi modules and then modprobe them again WiFi starts
working great.

> Whenever I have network problems at the UMN now I sudo su to root, then
run:

> rmmod iwldvm iwlwifi; sleep 1; modprobe iwlwifi
>
> As soon as I reconnect I can use the internet as expected.
>

> I think it has something to do with suspend. When I close my laptop it
suspends. When it wakes up, there's about a 75% chance that I'll have to do
the rmmod/modprobe thing to get connected again.

> --
> Michael Moore

Hi Michael, thanks for these instructions, they did the trick for me. I'm on
Ubuntu 12.04.3 BTW. In my case I had to:

sudo rmmod wl
sleep 1
sudo modprobe wl

and it worked instantaneously. As you said, it has something to do with the
"suspend" state.

Thanks again,
Dario