On 6/18/14, 11:18 PM, Jeff Jensen wrote:
> I'm probably switching from CenturyLink to Comcast [yes, both are loser
> monopoly companies] since CL top speed to my house is 12/.8 and planning
> on CC 50/10.
>
> I prefer to buy a good modem/router (and wonder about the "lucky dip"
> they'll send).  Plus, at $8 rental, a purchase pays for itself in 8-16
> months (depends on price of course).
>
> I plan to switch the landline as well.  Does the cable modem then need a
> phone connector/jack as well or what is the connection? (I've only ever
> used DSL)
>
> I've been looking at [0] and [1].  I'm a Netgear fan so the N450 and
> N600 stand out to me.  But I did not see any of them mention phone
> capability.
>
> I don't need wireless on it (have another unit that provides that) but
> fine if it does.  My current DSL router has it but I turned it off.
>
> So I'm wondering if anyone has cable modem purchase recommendations for
> me?  Or is the recommendation to rent theirs?

I just switched to Comcast for all the same reasons, thewirecutter.com
recommends the Motorola SB6141.  However, if you don't plan on getting
speeds above 150Mb/s then the Motorola SB6121 is cheaper at around $62.

I got the SB6121, and it works great so far.

--
Bret Baptist
Senior Network Administrator
bbaptist at iexposure.com